The other day I made the most epic meal ever, and decided to call it Spicy Maple Tofu with Teriyaki Veggies & Rice. I came across a cool bottle of vegan & gluten free teriyaki sauce made from Coconut Aminos and I just HAD to have it! Anyone who knows me, knows I love a good asian dish so as soon as I got home from the shops I got creating!
1/4C Uncooked, Organic Basmati Rice, Per Person
250g Block of Organic, Firm, Tofu
2 TBS Tamari
1 TBS Siracha
1 TBS Maple Syrup
1 Garlic Clove, Minced
NiuLife Cocomino Teryaki Sauce
or any other stir fry veggies you have to use up.
- Firstly, pop some rice on to cook either in a rice cooker or as per packet instructions. I use organic basmati rice most of the time. I’d tell you how to cook the rice, but still, I can’t get it right on the best of days and just use a rice cooker. Just being honest. A standard serve of rice is 1/4C uncooked per person. Unless you have my boyfriend who eats a LOT, then make him double.
- Alright next step is to prep the tofu. Cut the tofu into slices, wrap in a clean tea towel and place something heavy on top so that most of the water drains out. Leave this while you cut up the veggies.
- Prepare the tofu sauce by mixing Tamari, Siracha, Maple Syrup & Garlic together in a bowl.
- As for veggies, I used red & green capsicum, carrot, zucchini and cauliflower. You can use any stir fry veggies you like as it’s the perfect “use up all the old veggies” meal. Chop them up and set aside.
- Now let’s get back to the tofu. Cut it into cubes. Heat up a pan or wok. Cook tofu in a teaspoon of olive or coconut oil until golden on all sides. Once golden, remove from heat, place in bowl with the tofu sauce and allow to cool. Once pan is cool, return to pan and gently heat up the tofu and sauce again. If you put the sauce in the pan while it’s still really hot it will just burn and evaporate. Set aside.
- In your hot wok/pan, add chopped veggies and cook until you like it. I’ll say al dente and someone will laugh but that’s just what I call it. When it’s not soft but it’s not raw either. Anyway when you’re veggies are cooked put a drizzle of the Teriyaki sauce over the veggies and heat through.
- Serve rice, veggies and tofu hot and enjoy, because it’s so good.
If you have any questions about this recipe, cooking with tofu, veganism or gluten free living then please leave a comment below!